Thursday, February 12, 2009

Workshop in Cleveland, Tennessee


I've been up here just about 20 miles north of Chattanooga since Monday for a workshop hosted by the US Forest Service for my job as a Forestry Technician with the National Park Service. It's all been computer-based training, and I've gotta say that it's been incredibly boring! I was really excited about going on my first real business trip out of town until I actually got up here. Thing is, I got to thinking about it, and I've been on some 'business trips' with the Navy before. I flew into San Diego for a 5 week GCCS-M training. I actually had a whole lotta fun on that trip, and I can't believe I almost forgot about it! I miss San Diego. While I was actually living there in late 2002, the weather was absolutely perfect. Maybe one day I'll go back. I've got to say that I'm glad to be done with the training. I even managed to get some of my student's papers graded, which takes a big stress off of me. Now I've just got to study tomorrow & I should be able to have the weekend free to just hang ten.

3 comments:

  1. Surface. They won't let women on submarines in the US Navy...at least, not yet. I tracked subs, though. And, yes, it was super boring!! We didn't have to listen to anything because the way they do it now is the sounds are graphically represented & then we would analyze the graph. It was tedious. I guess that's one of the reasons why I want an exciting job now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah! Is that what they call the "waterfall display"? So how do you distinguish between a dolphin and an incoming torpedo on something like that? I'm sure looking at a screen all shift can be a bit much, but such is the CIC.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes...I can't get into too much detail, but basically everything has a different frequency.

    ReplyDelete